The Dragon Never Sleeps
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 11 %

Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones

Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones - Brandon Sanderson

People that read the first book of the series know that our world is in the clutches of the Evil Librarians. They control the flow of information and he who controls the spice information controls the universe. Exactly like the news outlets do. If this is not the proof that the Evil Librarians are real I do not know what is.

Last time the main hero Alcatraz had to infiltrate their stronghold: a downtown library. This time stakes are much higher than that. Can you think of a biggest baddest place for Evil Librarians? Unsurprisingly this is the Library of Alexandria.

The Library of Alexandria

Its librarians are the undead Curators ready to suck your soul out the moment you start reading any of the library books. This is the place Alcatraz headed this time, hunted by a librarian assassin who reminded me of a cyborg.

Fun follows.

Let me start by saying that this is a funny book which made me smile a lot and laugh out loud a couple of times. I would also be the first one to admit it is not as good as the first one. The reason for this is breaking of the fourth wall, like the following:

Fourth Wall

Each chapter starts with such breaking. It is long, sometimes mildly amusing, but most of the time boring. This made me feel dreadful approaching a beginning of a chapter knowing I was about to be subjected to a long pointless rant which is supposed to be witty. All the time I kept saying, “Dear Mr. Sanderson/Alcatraz. Please stop. Pretty please? Pretty pretty please? Please with a cherry on the top?”

Last time we learned Alcatraz’s mother was not a nice person. This time we learn that when it comes to being a bad parent his father can give her a good run for the money. Poor guy was looking for his parents all of his life and ended up with… these. This was neither fun nor amusing. To add to the insult, his grandfather is not entirely here to be a good substitution. At least his uncle seems to be a decent guy even though he and Alcatraz did not like each other in the beginning.

If there ever was a book with exactly 3.5 star rating, it is this one. Good, but the parts I mentioned above really drag the rating down.