Most Wanted

Most Wanted - Diana Palmer First things first. I need to mention I received this book from GoodReads Giveaways. My review was not influenced by this in any degree.

Lexi Carmichael is the heroine of the book. She is a somewhat typical geek who is very good in math and computers and does not have good social skills - you know this kind.
A Typical Nerd
She is also a fairly good-looking woman - despite her modesty saying otherwise, so she looks more something like this:
A <br/>Girl Nerd

She worked as a low-level grunt in NSA headquarters in Washington, DC. Her work was a boring routine (is not it such for the most of us?). She thought she would never get the excitement of famous spies from fiction, like James Bond in her work. She was completely right: the excitement came not from her work, but from her personal life.

One of uneventful evenings a guy in a dark alley asked Lexi to give him papers her best friend supposedly mailed to her. His gun made a very convincing argument. Lexi, being completely unaware of such papers managed to talk the guy into leaving her alone on the promise she will get in touch with him the moment she has the papers. Or else.

When she got home she found her apartment thoroughly thrashed with yet another guy waiting. He made the same request using the same convincing argument and asked her to give him the papers the moment she has them. Or else.

Lexi still might have had a slight hope of staying out of this, but it was shattered shortly when her neighbor brought her the package in question which was delivered to the neighbor instead of Lexi. It also turned out Lexi's friend who sent her the papers disappeared without a trace leaving our poor heroine to deal with the mess. Fun ensures.

Even from my description of the beginning of the book you might have guessed it is full of cliches. You are right: there are cliches abound from thrillers, cozy mysteries, romance, and chick lit genres.

Lexi works for NSA which practically nobody consider good guys these days, and for a good reason: spying on your own people does tarnish the reputation. I am an IT professional so some of the descriptions of computer-related activities felt like they were written by a person who never approached a computer closer than a couple of miles. I strongly suspect professional biologists would feel the same regarding some other moments of the book.

I mentioned romance. What is the romantic cliche practically everybody hates and are still held dear by romance writers? Love triangles. I am happy to say there is none here. Instead we have a love octagon at least as a bunch of handsome guys kept falling at Lexi's feet.

So it sounds like I would have with a passion, right? Wrong as I enjoyed reading the book. I flew through it in three days considering that these were really busy days for me. What happened? Humor most definitely helped as well as Lexi's attitude.

Lexi being a geek who hates shopping and does not think math is incomprehensibly difficult was another positive side. I am tired of bimbo types of women seemingly very common in literature. Lexi is not one of them.

The mystery itself is quite intriguing and complicated with several interesting and unexpected twists. As redundant as it sounds, I read mystery books for a good mystery; this one delivers.

Finally the writing style makes it a very easy mindless fun read. If you manage to suspend your disbelief you are in for a fast ride.

The final rating is 4 stars - to my complete surprise.