Gene

Gene

The Extraordinary Adventures of Phil Jones

The Extraordinary Adventures of Phil Jones  - J.R. Karlsson In the future the humanity slowly loses to an aggressive race called Voravians. Their (our?) only hope is one single man from our own time selected by a pink glove - not exactly the old-fashioned ring with runic letters, but beggars cannot be choosers. This man happened to be Phil Jones, a completely hopeless guy whose only passion, hobby, and the entire lifestyle are computer games (eating pizza goes hand-to-hand with gaming, so there is no need to mention it). Suddenly he finds himself commanding a spaceship on a rescue mission and stumbling from one ridiculously bad situation into a worse one non-stop.

The book parodies elements from all forms of science fiction and fantasy media. Just out of the top from my head I recognized the following: The Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Star Trek (The Original Series, The Next Generation, and Voyager), Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Galaxy Quest, World of Warcraft, Doom, and Starship Troopers. While I was often amused, I laughed out loud just once.

It is an easy and fast read, but there is nothing in the book that I have not seen before. I already mentioned the movie Galaxy Quest. If you saw it, then the plot of the book will not come as a surprise for you. I can also recall several movies/books where a bunch of misfits are given in command to an even bigger misfit and suddenly they are a force to reckon with. This is a good book to read when you want to kill some time, but nothing to write home about. Still it made me curious enough to check out author's other works; if I understand correctly he have two other books published, both are serious fantasy tales.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/956085/a-parody-on-everything-related-to-science-fiction