Gene

Gene

Clouds of Witness

Clouds of Witness - Dorothy L. Sayers A man was shot dead, and all of the clues point to none other than Lord Peter Wimsey's bother who also happened to have a good motive for the murder. Lord Peter Wimsey is determined to find a real killer and to clear his brother's name. I hope I will not give a big spoiler when I say that he eventually succeeds in this.

This is the second book of Lord Peter Wimsey investigations. It was disappointing for me. For starters, the characters were somewhat wooden with none of the charm and oddities of other great detectives: Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot can remain calm as their title of the greatest detectives is uncontested by this newcomer - at least in this book. The main characters look bad even if I compare them to themselves in the first book.

The main clue is presented at the very last moment making it impossible for the reader to arrive to the culprit's identity which is a fairly cheap trick. I also need to mention that the ending was way too melodramatic even considering the time the book was written and its genre.

No matter how I wanted to like this book, I cannot give it more than two stars.