The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 11 %

Hex Appeal

Hex Appeal - P.N. Elrod This is a review of just some of the stories of the anthology; the rating will change after I read other stories.

Retribution Clause. A story is set in Kate Daniels universe, but the action takes place in Philadelphia instead of familiar Atlanta. We have Adam who is Saiman's cousin with the same ancestry. He works as an insurance adjuster; his main jobs are usually to adjust the claims by using brute force (he has more than enough of this). His partner is Siroun; she is a female something - kind of like a shape-shifter, but not quite.

Indiana Jones taught us archaeology is exciting. The Matrix taught us computer hacking (I really hate this term, but this is for another discussion) is exciting. Perry Mason taught us criminal defense lawyers and courtroom drama are exciting. I have yet to encounter any book or movie which made insurance adjusting exciting. In fact this would be one of the first items on the list of the most boring jobs have I ever compiled such list. If any insurance adjusters read this, please do not be offended: boring is not equal to useless.

So, the guy with a boring job does a boring job here by destroying every single obstacle on his way. The story might be a little better had it be longer, but as it is we are not even sure what his partner is - she just looks like a random ass-kicker. "Unnecessary" is the best qualification for the tale. 2 stars.

Bigfoot on Campus. Harry Dresden is called by a Bigfoot to help with his son's problem. The latter studies at Oklahoma University, so our wizard has to leave his familiar Chicago and his cast of sidekicks and visit the campus. Mayhem ensures.

People familiar with the series know that a stereotypical male nerd living in his parents' basement gets laid much more often than Harry. This actually became a joke of the series which overstayed its welcome. This time everybody but Harry have sex; the latter is about to be killed at the same time. How fair is that? This sexual tension and the fact that every single woman Harry meets is drop-dead gorgeous got old by book 14 as well.

Then it comes to colorful supporting cast, the series really shine. This time the settings ensured none of them are present; in fact only one of them is mentioned - briefly. On the related note, what happened to Harry's trademark wisecracking? He stays serious though the whole story with exactly one exception (to be fair, that one was great).

The story by itself is not too bad and I judge it too harshly, but it is not anywhere near the level of the best Harry Dresden has to offer. 2 stars.

There Will Be Demons. The main heroine is a fairy with all the perks that come with it: she is immortal for all practical purposes, she can use fairy dust as offensive/defensive weapon, and she looks like a gorgeous woman in her early twenties. She spends her time hunting demons. She is also in love with a guy she has never seen, except in her dreams where he appears regularly and keeps getting killed in different fashions. One day he shows up on her doorstep - in real life - claiming they are given an assignment they have to do together.

This is much more paranormal romance than urban fantasy with some of its most popular clich├ęs present. It is quite predictable and not too exciting. This is a series I will most definitely not read anymore. I wanted to give 1 star to it, but I thought it would not be fair to punish a story for belonging to a genre I do not like. 2 stars.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/80615/review