The Dragon Never Sleeps
Progress: 23 %
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, Book 3) - Stephen R. Donaldson The second book of the series ended with a fairly bad situation. As a result the last defenders of the Land have almost no hope to win. Their last resort it to try summoning Thomas Covenant yet again; only this time he managed to resist the summons - and for good reasons. Thus High Lord Mhoram must lead the resistance to the onslaught for as long as he can while still hoping for a miracle.

After the first two books I did not expect any kind of action from Covenant - except for the very minor ones and for very selfish reasons. I was pleasantly surprised. The (in)famous leper finally did something meaningful while trying to redeem himself somehow. This was one of the reasons for higher rating of this book: it became really boring to read about a guy acting entirely out of self-preservation during the first and the second ones.

I was slightly disappointed by the ending: it was predictable. In fact, I knew exactly how the trilogy will end the moment I began reading. The only part I was not able to predict is who will live and who will die in the Land - and there were a lot of people dying.

Speaking of the whole series, I would rate it slightly above average. In my opinion it shows its age. There are much darker books in the modern fantasy, as well as more disgusting characters. I also began to appreciate [a:J.R.R. Tolkien|656983|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1329870573p2/656983.jpg]'s genius. His work influenced a lot of fantasy writers (or was outright copied by them); the plot of the first of Thomas Covenant series closely resembles [b:The Lord of the Rings|33|The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347257199s/33.jpg|3462456]. The next two books are different and much gloomier.