The Dragon Never Sleeps
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

School of Hard Knocks

School of Hard Knocks - Donna Huston Murray First things first: I need to mention I received this book from GoodReads giveaways.

Ginger Barnes is a housewife who feels neglected by her husband - does it sound familiar? It is the basis for practically all the plots for romantic movies/books. My hint for her: the poor guy busts his ass off to provide for his family of four; he really does not have time for anything else, how hard is it to understand?

A series of burglaries and vandalism suddenly stirs up the prosperous and somewhat snobbish community where Ginger lives. The police does the search for culprit without any enthusiasm knowing that according to statistics, only 16% of burglaries are solved (this is what the books says, is it really so?) When one of the burglaries turns to murder and the police efforts still remain minimal to non-existent, Ginger decides to conduct her own investigation.

At exactly this point the book stopped being mediocre and became very good. The mystery was very nice done with several seemingly unrelated things going on at the same time. I lost a couple of sleep hours trying to follow all the developments. Had this whole book been on the same level I would give it easy 5 stars, but it slowed down by the end somewhat.

My conclusion: 3 stars for the beginning, 5 stars for the middle, and 4 stars for the end. The average is 4 stars which is my final rating. I would not read the other books from the series right away, but I will at some point.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/861900/a-mystery-book-the-mystery-part-was-good-the-rest-was-acceptable