Black Science, Vol.1: How to Fall Forever

Black Science, Vol.1: How to Fall Forever - Rick Remender, Matteo Scalera, Dean White First I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaway. It also happened to be one of the best one I received from any kind of giveaways, but I am getting ahead of myself.

Grant McKay, a genius scientist and the founder of The Anarchistic Order of Scientists which aim was to put science above all restrictions (political, bureaucratic, ethical, etc.) made a scientific breakthrough with resulted in creation of The Pillar: a device in form of a... well.. pillar which enables to travel to alternate realities. Anything is possible in different realities which means you can travel to one to find a cure for cancer, a solution for a global pollution in another one, etc. If you remember TV show Sliders, the idea is very similar.

Unfortunately during the routine lab inspection something goes wrong and The Pillar gets broken. It sends a group of people who happens to be near it at that time and sends them somewhere. It also keeps sending poor people into different realities at random time making it practically impossible for them to stop it and go home. I would also like to note that poor reality wanderers keep escaping from a really bad place (think Lovecraft's fantasies coming alive as an example) into a much worse one.

I believe one of the genre's cliches is to start the tale in the middle of action with no explanation of what is going on - I can think of only very few counterexamples. This book is no exception. It took some time before the initial situation became clear with occasional further flashbacks to clarify what happened in the beginning even more. Once I figured what is going on, the plot became really interesting, impossible-to-put-the-book-down type.

The artwork is really good: colorful or bleak - depending on the current situation. My only complaint and question was: what's up with the noses of practically all male heroes? They all look like a creation of an artist whose only sculptural tool was an axe.

As I already mentioned it was very hard to put the book down and I found myself thinking about it after I was done with reading. For this reason the final rating is 4.5 stars. I am now also on a hunt for the next installment of the series.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/959912/one-of-the-better-comic-books-i-read-lately