The Dragon Never Sleeps
Progress: 3 %
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

Easy Like Sunday Mourning (A Page Turners Novel) (Volume 2)

Easy Like Sunday Mourning (A Page Turners Novel) (Volume 2) - Jennie Marts First things first: I need to mention I received this book from GoodReads giveaways.

A single mother Maggie Hayes found a man of her dreams: a super nerd turned a game company owner hunk Jeremy Rogers. As soon as their relation entered stable phase, there was a murder in Jeremy's company with him being a prime suspect. What would poor Maggie do?

This book belongs to chick-lit genre first and foremost. Let us count the genre cliches present here:

* A husband leaves his wife after twenty years of marriage? Check.
* A single mother of two boys has enough men falling all over her to build a middle-sized army? Check.
* All of these men being very good with her kids? Check.
* The said woman still being afraid of any form of commitment because of her ex-husband's betrayal? Check.
* This woman is a successful lawyer (who else?) who built her carrier herself, but when it comes to her boyfriends she is really weak and dependent? Check.

Speaking about her men, she chooses the richest one to date; makes me wonder why we - the guys with middle income - even bother. My point here is: when it comes to chick lit the book has it all.

Why four star rating then? Two reasons: the character of Edna and the mystery part. I will discuss both in details.

Edna really steals every scene she appears into. Imagine Agatha Christie's Miss Marple on serious steroids, or better yet a cross between Jessica Fletcher from TV and book series Murder She Wrote and Rambo. She is more than 80 year old, but she can kick with the best of them. The content of her bra makes famous Batman's utility belt look like a toddler's toy: she rightfully assumes nobody wants to search her underwear. Imagine her going undercover in a Comic Con dressed as Hermione Granger from Harry Potter books in school uniform... actually, forget I said that: it might give you nightmares considering her age. She actually pulls it off!

The mystery part: the mystery itself while being fairly simple after it was revealed has so many red herrings it was really impossible to understand what is going on until the very end. Well done, Ms. Marts!

I also need to mention there were some humorous moments present; while I never laughed out loud, I chuckled from time to time. The lesson I learned from these parts: despite what the makers of Charmin Ultra Soft toilet paper want you to believe, the real bears are not impressed by this particular brand and as such it makes a really ineffective weapon against them.

After everything I said above, I still want to give the book 4 stars, just for the mystery part and Edna's antics.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/786749/chick-lit-or-cozy-mystery-you-decide-