Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book 7) (The Malazan Book of the Fallen)

Reaper's Gale (Malazan Book 7) (The Malazan Book of the Fallen) - Steven Erikson The book returns to events in [b:Midnight Tides|345299|Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5)|Steven Erikson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1366996057s/345299.jpg|3898719], namely conquest of Lethery Empire by Tiste Edur. Nobody (including the conquerors) is particularly happy about the results. On the top of this are the Bonehunters led by Adjunct Tavore with the mission of toppling of the current Empire. The combination of all of these leads to (supposedly) explosive conclusion.

This is probably the first book where I am still not sure about the rating. It is somewhere between 3 and 4 stars, so let us say 3.5 with 0.5 stars for my respect for the series.

The Good
The results of the conquest I mentioned above are very... interesting and unexpected. Some of the really major high players are permanently out of the game, making it easier to keep track of the rest. There was a moment where Quick Ben finally appeared to be a total bad-ass.

The Ugly
The author spends half of the book introducing a lot of new characters with POV. We are talking about 7th book in the series, is it a little too late for this? I mean, there are a lot of them, like one new character per page. On the related note, POVs are switched way too often.

It is very clear from the beginning how the book will end, but I have an impression the author did everything he could think of to postpone the ending; heck he even made Quick Ben look boring except for the moment I mentioned above.

There is no explosive ending. Sure, some people die, but still this is the quietest ending of the series so far.

So in conclusion, half of the book is worth 3 stars with another half being 4 stars.