The Dragon Never Sleeps
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

The Case of the Velvet Claws

The Case of the Velvet Claws - Erle Stanley Gardner This is the first book of the series featuring criminal defense attorney Perry Mason and his gang: his secretary Della Street and a private detective Paul Drake whose services Mason uses quite often. For those unfamiliar with the series and the TV show based on it, Perry Mason is a guy you really want on your side if you ever have legal problems. Mason always fights for his clients to the end no matter what, but his fees are not cheap (in this book his total was well into thousands and we are talking about the year 1933). Usually there is no more than one dead body in a book, but the plot is always complicated - enough to make Agatha Christie proud.

In this novel a young woman asked Mason to protect her from the blackmail. Della Street instantly takes a dislike of Mason's new client claiming she is a typical gold-digger (I am using a modern term for this) and not to be trusted. It turned out she was right as the woman in question did everything she could to personally involve Mason in her problems hoping he would be better motivated to help himself and by extension her.

As I mentioned already this is the first book of the series and as such the main characters are not as developed as in the later books and some of the regulars are not mentioned at all. For this reason I almost gave 3 stars to the book, but the plot twists were good and plentiful enough for me to warrant 1 extra star.

One more note: for the love of all that is holy do not read the blurb for this book. It gives away something which while revealed early still was unexpected surprise for me. You have been warned.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/849637/the-first-book-about-the-most-famous-criminal-defense-attorney