The Last Apprentice: Slither (Book 11)

The Last Apprentice: Slither (Book 11) - Joseph Delaney Somewhere in the far North a civilization of monsters seemingly thriving. One such monster called Slither has a territory populated by humans which he considers his own. He regards humans living there as his livestock: he loves human blood. One such human - smarter than average - made a bargain with Slither. In case something happens to the guy, Slither is to bring man's two youngest daughters to their surviving relatives in exchange for the life of the oldest daughter. The poor peasant had a fatal accident some time later, so it fell to Slither to keep up to his side of the bargain.

I was speechless after finishing the book - and still is. I let the following image speak for me:
WTF did I just read?
I am not ready to answer one simple and very logical question anybody could ask me after reading this review, "How the heck does it relate to the first 10 books of the series?" My only possible answer would be, "It does not". I realize that it sounds weak and unconvincing, but this is the best I could do.

Imagine yourself a successful writer who wrote a very strong beginning of a fantasy series with loyal fan following. What would you do to keep the money coming in if you have no inspiration for anything else? George R.R. Martin and Patrick Rothfuss decided to just completely stop writing pretending to be very busy with something else, like interviews, public appearances, etc. This approach is not the best one as it tends to piss the fans off.

A better one would be to write something, anything actually and then convince the readers that this something is a part of the series. Ladies and gentlemen, let me present you Slither. You only have enough material for one final book, but you really like those money coming in. So you introduce completely new place with completely new monsters (after you spent 10 books carefully crafting the world - the whole picture of it). Only one problem remains: you have to somehow tie this shameless money grab to the rest of the series. Make one character from before appear here; Grimalkin is the guest star.

Boy, can I have a field day with her! For starters, how the heck did she manage to get to the other side of the world in the (extremely) short time between the previous book and the following one? That society is not advanced enough to develop supersonic jets. Grimalkin is a witch with some very much defined and limited magic. Why did she suddenly demonstrated practically god-like superpowers with none of them appearing before even when she was in a mortal peril?

She also happened to be an assassin and at this point I am convinced the author is not sure what it means as she literally mows the enemies in open combat. Let me demonstrate the difference. This is an assassin:
An assassin uses a sneaky means to dispose of his/her victims; if it comes to head-to-head combat, the assassin already failed at his/her job.
This is a warrior:
A warrior tried to stay alive by being better than his/her combat opponent.

So why is Grimalkin an assassin if she beats the crap out of everybody in open combat, the way which would put Conan the Barbarian to shame? As you could see the only character from the previous book appearing here does not even feel like herself.

To add an insult to the injury I do not think that the things that happened here would have any impact whatsoever on the remaining two books. This is a filler if I ever so one; fast-moving and with some interesting ideas, but a filler nonetheless.