Roadmarks - Roger Zelazny Half of the fun in reading any book written by Zelazny is to figure out what is going on; I will try to avoid big spoilers, so please forgive me if you think the plot outline I give below is too sketchy. I have to walk a fine line between spoilers and plot details.

There is something called The Road which is - you guessed it - a road that can lead to any place, any time, and any reality. Do you want to visit ancient Babylon and see Hanging Gardens (I would love to, by the way)? Take the right exit from The Road. Do you want to see what would happen if Napoleon conquered the whole Europe? Find the right exit. Change something in the past and a new exit leading to the new reality appears.

Some people have the ability to find The Road, some stumble upon it by accident. The book consists of chapters named Two and One (confusingly it starts with Two and the second chapter is One). Chapters One are about a guy named Red Dorakeen who travels The Road in his pickup searching for something; he has no clue what the subject of his search is, but it keeps him restless.

Chapters Two tell about seemingly unrelated events told without regards to time when they happened. It kind of makes sense considering time is really relative on The Road. It all comes together by the end which really surprised me as I have not expected the book to end this way.

I have already said this countless times before, and I am going to say it again: I have not seen anybody working in fantasy or science fiction genres who comes close to Zelazny's level of imagination. Some writers are better world-builders, some are better storytellers, but in imagination department he has everybody beaten by a mile. This book is no exception. He manages to create a place I really want to visit. He also manages to invoke nostalgia for fifties in me, and I have not been even born then!

I see that the ratings of the good classic science fiction novels are much lower than modern weaker offerings of the genre for some mysterious reason. This novel can be argued belong to both fantasy and science fiction, by the way. As such it does suffer from an undeservedly low rating which in my opinion should be 4.5 stars at least. As practically everything else written by Roger Zelazny is well worth reading.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/968143/a-lesser-known-fantasy-offering-from-the-master-of-science-fiction