The Moche Warrior

The Moche Warrior - Lyn Hamilton I need to mention I received this from GoodReads giveaways.

Lara McClintoch is one of the owners of an antiques shop in Toronto. When her ex-husband and former co-owner of the shop opened his own one, she did not like the idea of competition (whatever happened to the concept of free market?) and decided to have a (petty) revenge. Count Monte Cristo she is not, so her revenge backfired on her big time. Before she knows it, she has to flee to Peru to take part in an archeological expedition; dead bodies keep follow her.

This is the third book of the series. By this time I am very sure the author cannot get two things right at the same time for some obscure reason: to make Lara a normal character with at least average mental abilities, and to give a good historical background of the place where Lara ends up. I loved all the pieces of Mayan history in the first book, but no qualified psychologist would call Lara's mental development adequate. In the second book I found only two idiotic decisions by her, but there was nothing interesting in tiny glimpses into the history of a very fascinated place: Malta. I will cast my vote for best description of Moche history and culture in this book as well as workings of an archeological expedition, but Lara in addition to being stupid again seems to collect every single bad trait of humanity.

I will not spend much time discussing Lara in details: she is as bad as they come. Sufficient to say, she set feminist movement back by several decades, all by her lonely self. She is an independent woman, surely enough with her independence forcing her to make bad decisions that end up in progressively worse situations. The moment a trouble arises she runs to the nearest man with a plea for help. What do these men get for helping her? One gets very bad concussion, another one has to resort to illegal activities jeopardizing his political carrier, and yet another one had to break up with his girlfriend because the latter justifiably thought the guy spends more time helping Lara than with her. I can go on, but let us just say she feels entitled to all of these.

Lara herself deserves 1 star rating and DNF status for the book. What really helps is the whole background on Moche history (does anybody knows anything about it?) We finally got to see the day-to-day activities of an archeological work; these are not boring in the book and close to that in real life - I have some secondhand experience. This is the part where novel succeeds with flying colors. 3 solid stars is the final rating.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/982317/review