Gene

Gene

Quirky Essays for Quirky People: The Complete Collection

Quirky Essays for Quirky People: The Complete Collection - Barbara Venkataraman This is a collection of 24 short humorous essays; I prefer to call them very short stories. I keep to grumbling and complaining about book blurbs all the time. My issues with them were - among others - they often give huge spoilers for the book, or relate to the book the same way I relate to Immanuel Kant school of philosophy (hint: I do not). I am happy to say that in this case the blurb is not only highly appropriate, it also gives a one-sentence description of each story to give you an idea about them. I therefore refer you to it if you are curious about the book content.

So what is Quirky Essays for Quirky People? For starters I made a Google search for images of "Quirky". This was one of the first results:
Quirky?
This actually is close enough to the content of the book - kind of close. I would say these are real-life situations told with a dose of humor. We all saw these. I will discuss the first two, just as examples.

A Trip to the Hardware Store. A homeowner is expected to be an electrician, a plumber, a painter, a construction worker, and countless other things. He (the story is about a guy, so I will talk about a man homeowner here but it applies to any women homeowners as well) has a reputation to uphold as well as money to save as the professionals I mentioned above love to charge an arm and a leg for their services: something I know first-hand. The results of do-it-yourself exercises can be unexpected and quite disastrous.

Dinner is Served. This hit way too close to home for me. You invite a lot of friends to a dinner. Everything is fine except that one of them has severe peanut allergy. Another one is a vegan. Yet another one cannot eat pork due to religious believes. Yet another one is on a diet which means any dish which was in close proximity to sugar at some time is off. Yet another one is fasting. The big question is, what the heck do you cook??? I broke up with a good friend of mine who was a strict vegetarian and I was tired of looking for a good vegetarian restaurants in our city and finding something to eat in there for myself.

I think I gave the general idea about the book and its content. This was a fast read with some stories being only a couple of pages long. The final rating is 3.5 stars rounded up for relevancy to my life experience.