The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 11 %

My Little Phony

My Little Phony - Mike Moreci, Steve Seeley, Ken Haeser This is a parody of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. There are middle-ages men who are fans of My Little Phony franchise. As such they go to any lengths to show their devotion.

I broke my own rule of book rating with this one. One star means for me a bad book with no redeeming qualities. In this case there is an undisputed quality: it is short. I still cannot raise the rating of this co-called comic even by a half star and remain fair to myself. This brings a very good question: what determines whether a parody works or not?

A parody can be a great piece of art by its own. Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra immediately comes to mind. What began as a parody of chivalric romances became a classic and well-respected book. As a more recent example and from a different type of art, look no further than the movie Airplane. This one earned its place as one of the funniest Hollywood comedies of all time.

A parody is allowed to be silly - once again please refer to Airplane for this. What the parody should not be is dumb. I think quite a few people mistake being silly and being dumb. The result was fairly recent avalanche of spoof movies with each next one being more boring than the previous. Let me state it again: silly is not equal to dumb. Silly can be intellectually stimulating and funny. Dumb only works for people with mental abilities of 1.5 year old child. This by the way means dumb does not work for adult apes either.

Rant mode off; sorry about it. I can finally give a review of this comic book: it is dumb.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/1075037/review