Magician (Riftwar Saga)

Magician (Riftwar Saga) - Raymond E. Feist A young orphan boy Pug is taken as an apprentice to a master magician. He shows a lot of promise, but completely fails to do any magic while at the same time his friend Tomas takes military training with more success. While this still goes on the peaceful life of the kingdom is shattered when a mysterious alien invaders came out from nowhere. The boys are swept by all the drastic events and are destined change their whole world.

This book could and should be used as a checklist for fantasy cliches: it has them all.

* Sturdy miner dwarves? Check.
* The almighty dragons? Check.
* Mysterious and somewhat arrogant elves? Check.
* A mysterious invader force bringing peaceful life to the brink of complete annihilation? Check.
* A mysterious race of powerful warrior/sorcerers which vanished with no explanation a long time ago, but left some artifacts behind? Check.
* An even more mysterious (sorry, I seem to overuse the word) magician with practically God-like powers who will not reveal his intentions to mere mortals because they will not comprehend them? Check.
* A young boy (better yet - orphan) whose destiny is to become the mover and shaker of the world with kings bowing to him? Double check: both Pug and Tomas fit the bill.

I can go on and on, but I think I made my point. Having said all this I really need to point out that this is not a bad book by any means. The story is good and so are some of the characters (Jimmy the Hand often ends up in different lists of the best fantasy thieves). I never felt bored while reading it, but the feeling of "being there, done that" as well as the fact that there was nothing really outstanding about it really prevents me from giving this novel more than 3 stars.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/761007/a-fairly-avarage-fantasy-book