The Dragon Never Sleeps
Progress: 23 %
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

The King Beyond The Gate (A Drenai Novel)

The King Beyond The Gate (A Drenai Novel) - David Gemmell I think the blurb on my edition's cover gave the best description of the book, "The greatest army of the Drenai was dead to a man - and that man sought revenge..." There is almost nothing more to say. The Drenai nation is under the rule of a tyrant who can create a mutants/werewolves/werebears, etc. to support his oppression of people. A former general of Drenai army choose not to participate in the war that led to the tyrant's rise to power. Now that his army is gone, and the terror stalks the land unopposed - the general has really nothing to lose, but he is only one man.

I cannot help but to compare this book to the first one in the series, [b:Legend|618177|Legend (Drenai Saga, #1)|David Gemmell|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320471224s/618177.jpg|1805413]. The plot resembles the one of the first book, as well as characters: I could actually find which characters from the second book correspond to the ones of the first book, and vice versa. Having said that, the characters from this book are much more developed and interesting. On the other hand, Druss the Legend alone carried the first book and there was nobody equal to him in this one.

I was sure the book is worth 3 stars up until the end, but it was so powerful and unexpected that I did not hesitate to raise it. This is in sharp contrast to forced happy end of the Legend. In this instance it was clear that the quality of writing improved a lot.