The Hidden Ones

The Hidden Ones - Nancy Madore,  Gregory Rose (Illustrator) An English woman died in Saudi Arabia some years ago. In the present-day Manhattan another successful woman running a charity fund is kidnapped from her office and brought to a top-secret facility in a Middle Eastern desert for interrogation regarding jinns. Thus a tale of urban fantasy dealing with Bible's Old Testament, Qur'an, a big chunk of world mythology and modern fantasy begins.

The structure of the book is interesting and the one I last saw in [b:The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights|93101|The Arabian Nights Tales from a Thousand and One Nights|Anonymous|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1320518022s/93101.jpg|859375] tales. The most part of the book is a story about a person telling a story where another person tells a story about yet another person telling a story (it actually goes one level deeper at some point). This might sound confusing, but it actually makes sense.

The first thing that struck me then I finished the book was author's ambition. She tried to connect world's major religions with myths from around the world (like the ones from ancient Greece) to tell a well-created story which sounds plausible enough in the framework of an urban fantasy book; this is a very impressive goal which she almost pull off. There is some romance in there, but it never detracts from development of the main plot lines; this is how romance should be handles in fantasy - in my opinion.

I also like the fact that the book can be considered a standalone, meaning that almost all of the plot lines are resolved by the end with enough threads left for a sequel which feels appropriate and not like something forced just for the sake of writing another book.

All in all this is a four star book which easily deserves its rating just for its ambition if nothing else. I need to mention that this happens to be a very well-written book as well.