The Dragon Never Sleeps
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  - J.K. Rowling Monster Book of Monsters

Harry Potter is in his third year of Hogwarts School of Wizardry. His studies at the school are never boring so this time an escaped evil wizard whose sole remaining purpose in life seems to be pay back Harry for Lord Voldemort's humiliation stirs quite an excitement.

Let us stop here for a second because I want to ask myself a following question. Why do I even bother with the plot descriptions? Is it possible to find a modern educated person with even passing interest in literature who never read the books and never saw the movies? However I already wrote the previous paragraph, so I am not going to erase it.

Harry Potter

This is the first book of the series which made me realize that we are not in Kansas anymore - to quote another children classic (yes, I call Harry Potter a children classic series). This is the place where the series leave comfortable and fluffy status of simple children books and slowly crosses in to an adult territory. I would call it young adult, but the modern understanding of the term demands a presence of heartbreaking romance and Harry Potter does not fit. To make a long story short do not expect a happy ending here, but do expect some quite dark moments.

I thought about reducing the otherwise perfect rating by one star because of some minor inconsistencies and the whole Time Turner thingy. I would not call the latter Deux Ex Machina as it did not come up from nowhere, but it was way too convenient for the final resolution for me. The fact that it completely disappears from the series never again to be heard about does not help any. Still this was not big enough annoyance for the lower rating, so the 5 stars remain.

So the book is very much worth reading - as if I need to say it. I had exactly the same amount of fun rereading the book as I had during my first read; knowing what would happen next had not diminish my enjoyment any.