The Count of Monte Cristo

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas,  Robin Buss There is not much I can say about this book which has not been said before. This book deserved a right to be called a literature classic, it also happened to be highly entertaining and very easy to read. Some very mild spoiler will follow, but if you already do not know what this book is about, you have been living under a rock.

A young man Edmond Dantès had it all: a good carrier, a great woman who was about to marry him, and a happy life to look forward to. Instead, his life was ruined by his enemies and envious friends. After a long time he makes his escape from lifelong imprisonment and finds his means for revenge, and it is not just about killing people who arranged for his downfall; this is too easy for them. He intends to make them suffer as much as he did, if not more.

As a tale of revenge, this book surpassed everything the genre has to offer by miles. I know is sounds pretentious, but in this case it is justified. Every single revenge story created before and after this looks pale in comparison with most being outright ridiculous (Hollywood, I am looking at you!). Edmond Dantès is highly devious in his dealings with his enemies.

The book goes farther than being a simple tale about revenge. It asks a question: can where be redemption for a person hell-bend on downfall of his enemies? What about redemption for the said enemies?

I already mentioned this book is easy to read despite its size. The only slow part for me were events in Rome and only because it was unclear at that point what exactly was going on. Once it became clear, it was practically impossible to stop reading.

One piece of advice: read the unabridged version. Better yet, read it the way in was written: in French if possible.

If this book does not deserve 5 stars, I do not really know which one does; highly recommended to everybody.

This is a copy/paste of my BookLikes review: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/734886/post