Gene

Gene

House of Chains

House of Chains - Steven Erikson I had high hopes for this book. It continues the story of [b:Deadhouse Gates|55401|Deadhouse Gates (The Malazan Book of the Fallen, #2)|Steven Erikson|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1316126263s/55401.jpg|3898716] in the end of which a lot of people was really pissed off at Apocalypse rebels for slaughtering Coltaine's army thanks to betrayal on high level of command. Now that Adjunct's army came to Seven Cities, the possibility of revenge became real. This is what I hoped for. Well, the first mention of these people came in after 1/3 of the book.

So, what happens in the beginning? A new race is introduced best described as bloodthirsty barbarians. Three young warriors from one of the tribes decided to have barbarian fun. I really could not relate to these guys as their idea of fun was to kill every single man/child and rape every single woman. Secondly, how come these three guys could slaughter entire villages full of warriors? Anyhow, their adventures take up about one third of the book.

Once the plot came back to two opposing armies, things finally get really interesting. The only problem is that some of subplot ideas are back from the second book: a bunch of people are walking around in the desert for so long, both they and the reader forgot why are there in the first place.

I also need to mention that this is the first Malazan book where I finally became confused and lost in the names of races, warrens, events, places, etc. - too much of these at once.

Having said all of this, the last two thirds of the book are really good and make up for the slow start.