Green Rider

Green Rider - Kristen Britain I guarantee those familiar with [b:Arrows of the Queen|13986|Arrows of the Queen (Heralds of Valdemar, #1)|Mercedes Lackey|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1296358547s/13986.jpg|834071] series by Mercedes Lackey will get a sense of déjà vu from my plot description. In fact I had to compare the publication dates of these two books; Mercedes Lackey won.
déjà vu

A misfit young woman met a highly intelligent horse and set up on a very important mission while trying to avoid obstacles and dangers caused by ancient evil bending on getting the lost power back. Needless to say, there are plenty of people on the road doing the best helping the heroine as well as others trying to do their worst to stop her by any means possible. The heroine uses her hidden reserves and strengths when the help is not easily available.

I finished the book and still have no clue why would anybody with an IQ in at least two-digit region want to become a Green Rider. These guys are basically glorified messengers. The lives are endangered on the road - brigands, wild animals and the said evil keep vigilance; some of the nobles are known to kill them for bringing bad news (I guess they never hear the expression "Don't shoot the messenger"). Needless to say their life expectancy is lower than that of some of the rodents. They are supposed to be a military organization, only the city guards, king's bodyguards, and the actual military consider them to be a low-level caste. So what is the appeal of joining, other than mysterious "pull" which from what I understood consists of hearing of horses' hoofs during sleep sometimes?

Having said all of these, the book is a decent light read. It is almost never boring and for some reason I really like the final confrontation which was at the very least quite original. I am also curious about the future direction the series will take - also it is fairly predictable. This one can actually be considered to be a standalone.

3.5 stars is the final rating.