The Dragon Never Sleeps
Progress: 23 %
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain Library)

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Mark Twain Library) - Mark Twain
Although my book is intended mainly for the entertainment of boys and girls, I hope it will not be shunned by men and women on that account, for part of my plan has been to try to pleasantly remind adults of what they once were themselves, and of how they felt and thought and talked, and what queer enterprises they sometimes engaged in.

Samuel Langhorne Clemens aka Mark Twain

The above quote comes straight from the preface of the book and I really cannot add anything else to it; I would not dare to add anything to what was said by the undisputed and best-known worldwide classic of USA literature. For people that have been living under a rock and thus have no idea what the book is about I will give a very brief description of the plot: it is about a life of a young boy in early ninetieth century who lived in Missouri in a small town on Mississippi river.

Tom Sawyer

I lost count of the number of times I read this book when I was a young boy, but I have not touched the book since. I was afraid my rereading of it as an adult would not be as good. I was almost right: this time the novel was not that good by a tiny little degree. I did find some author's thoughts and passages I missed when I was a kid and most of the scenes were almost as good as I remember them.

I challenge anybody to read the whole scene of famous whitewashing of Aunt Polly's fence,
fence whitewashing
or one of her cat and pain-killer
and keep a serious face without any attempts at smiling - at least.

Had this been my first read ever I would have given it 4.5 stars, but with all of my happy childhood memories this classic gets undisputed highest rating.