The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

The Man Who Knew Too Much

The Man Who Knew Too Much - G.K. Chesterton This is a collection of eight short stories about a self-proclaimed man who knew too much Horne Fisher. His analytical skills are rival those of Sherlock Holmes; he also has a trusted sidekick like a proper private investigator. His Dr. Watson is a journalist Harold March. What is the catch? Fisher stumbles upon crimes in high society and he really knows too much do try doing something against each culprit whose identity he is able to figure out all the time without failing. These people are untouchable due to their high influence, general reluctance of the people in power to show dirty laundry in public, "for the good of the country", and other similar reasons.

The mystery part of the stories is always good and I like most of them more than the ones of the most famous Chesterton's detective Father Brown. For me seeing the murderers, traitors, and other serious criminal escaping justice was quite depressing as well as cynical - but this is exactly how it works in real life, unfortunately. We often have to look away to let people escape justice because the alternative seems to be the greater evil, but is it really? Do not expect clear answer to his.

The book receives one less star for depressing parts. It takes place in Victorian England, but it might as well at any place in the modern society; some things never change.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/756536/a-collection-of-short-stories-about-a-brilliant-detective-who-really-cannot-change-anything