The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

A Memory of Light

A Memory of Light - Robert Jordan, Brandon Sanderson Ladies and gentlemen, this is it: the conclusion of the biggest fantasy epic to-date. Does it justify reading the series? Yes, but I need to mention that nothing can live up to the huge buildup of the series, but this novel comes pretty darn close.

I used to complain about the way Brandon Sanderson handled the series in the previous two books, but this time I really do not have anything to complain about. I can see several reasons for this. It might be that Robert Jordan left the most detailed notes related to the conclusion - after all, the epilog was written entirely by him. It also probably that Brandon Sanderson finally became comfortable writing the series. The last factor I can think of: the weakest part of Sanderson's writing were the characters; in case of this book there is no character development - thirteen previous books should be enough for this, but there is a lot of action: something Sanderson is very good at writing. I suspect all of the above is true.

I mentioned action. The whole book is a prelude to The Last Battle and the Battle itself. The best word to describe the latter would be "epic". In terms of epicness it beats the crap out of everything I read, which made me wish to see how Robert Jordan would handle this as big battles was one of his strengths (Dumai's Wells come to mind). The actual military action for this single one takes up around one fourth of the whole book which makes around 200 pages. You can really feel this is the last battle: both sides do not hold back and there is no retreat as the whole world is at stake. Major people die on both sides, including quite a few I did not expect.

I also think I need to clarify something. I criticized Brandon Sanderson a lot for his handling of the series. I need to express my gratitude to him for finishing it. He mentioned that his major task was to show how the series would end and he succeed admirably at this.

As a conclusion: is the series worth the read? Yes, very much so. I do not have a single sliver of regret for having done this. I feel like something is missing from my life, something which was with me since the year 1993. I also feel like seeing off my dear friends forever: they are all good people with their uniqueness and annoyances.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/860138/the-conclusion-of-the-biggest-fantasy-series-delivers