The Dragon Never Sleeps
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

Magic for Beginners

Magic for Beginners - Shelley Jackson, Kelly Link This is a collection of weird short stories which can be loosely qualified as urban fantasy. When I said the stories are weird, I really meant it. I would not be able to tell the plot of any of nine stories from the book. Do you want to know about a man loving a cannon? How about a man marrying a dead woman and having children? What about a whole nation sitting in a handbag? A son of a witch walking around in a cat costume made out of cats? You can have all of these and more.

This is the second book of the author I read. I like the first one, [b:Stranger Things Happen|66659|Stranger Things Happen|Kelly Link|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1354903613s/66659.jpg|64640] more. This book gives an impression that the stories are weird for the sake of being weird. They are not simply weird, but the whole logic of the plot breaks in them. For example, what was the point of The Cannon? I do not consider myself to be an idiot, but this particular story made me feel like one. The rest of them are not much better.

For the reasons above I cannot give this book more than 2 stars. I think I am done with [a:Kelly Link|24902|Kelly Link|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1219070642p2/24902.jpg] for now.