The Dragon Never Sleeps
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

Three Men in a Boat

Three Men in a Boat - Jerome K. Jerome Updated in August, 2014

I lost count of the number of times I read this book. It was written in the late 19th century; it is still hilarious. The author attempted to write a travel guide on a Themes boat trip. At this, he failed miserably. In the book he switches the subject constantly telling somewhat related (or completely unrelated) stories; most of them are really, really funny. I always laugh out loud when I read his description of setting up a tent on a bad weather day, or the scene with George and Harris packing, or Harris performing comic songs - just to give some examples.

What I found particularly interesting is that as I mentioned above we - the people of 21st century - still laugh at the same things which were funny in 19th century. I am fairly sure everybody heard the following quote: "I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." This is the guy who said it first, in this book.

As I mentioned, there is no point in describing a plot, as there is almost none, just one funny moment after another; still, I will try. Basically, three guys and a dog ride a boat on Themes. That's it: the whole plot.

I would like to mention something else not related to the review, strictly speaking. As I read the book I realized they really knew how to curse in Victorian England. These days the art is lost, sadly. Read the novel to see why I mentioned it.

Conclusion: very funny, 5 stars.