Too Many Cooks

Too Many Cooks - Rex Stout I have a confession to make: after finishing the book I added yet another item to my ever-growing list of things-to-do-before-I-die. In this case I really want to try saucisse minuit:

saucisse minuit

Some explanation is in order; I also would like to apologize to the people already familiar with Nero Wolfe as they are already know everything I will say here. The eccentric genius detective also happened to be a gourmet, among other things. His cook, Fritz Brenner is a Swiss whose cooking Wolfe calls "not excellent, but competent". His abilities however were sufficient to get him hired by one of the best New York restaurants as a chef - no questions asked, in a later book. Let us keep in mind this was a time when people cared about the taste of food much more than about the calories and fats in it (and they were still not as overweight as we are, but I digress). I hope I made a convincing explanation about Nero Wolfe not being a stranger to high-class delicatessens.

What do you think about saucisse minuit which made Wolfe beg practically on his knees for the recipe? His description of the said dish did not hurt either. He would not let anything, even a murder to get between him and the recipe; considering that he weights one seventh of a ton he can use his sheer momentum to remove all obstacles.

Ladies and gentlemen, I really want to know what saucisse minuit tastes like. I rest my case.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/999037/this-book-gave-my-life-yet-another-purpose