The Silent Speaker

The Silent Speaker - Rex Stout, Walter Mosley Archie Goodwin literally forces Nero Wolfe to take a case as the bank account of famous detective is practically empty (so, what else is new?). What is the most suitable case? The most talked-about at the moment, of cause. A government official (he worked for BPR: Bureau of Price Regulation) was killed just before he was about to give a speech in front of a millionaire group (they are members of NIA: National Industrial Association). By using some very unconventional methods Nero Wolfe makes NIA hire him to investigate the murder.

This book is notable for a very funny scene. At one point Nero Wolfe has to simulate a mental breakdown. The description of his performance is priceless. Later he also demonstrates his deep respect for inspector Cramer, something what does not happen very often.

I also found it interesting that Rex Stout, while having conservative political views is not shy about criticizing what we now call Big Business represented by NIA in the book; in fact at times his depiction of them looks purely satirical. They really understood "politically conservative" term differently in the post-war US.

All in all, a very good book where mystery takes a back-seat and relationships and interactions between different characters play major role.

This review is a copy/paste of my LeafMarks one: https://www.leafmarks.com/lm/#/users/10968/books/144677/review