Death Flu

Death Flu - Scott Brietzke First things first: I need to mention I received this book for free from a Goodreads Giveaway.

A new kind of flu has very high fatality rate; the people who die of this come back as zombies (typical ones: flash-eating slow-moving undead whose popularity is only eclipsed by vampires these days). Healthy people eaten by these guys become zombies, too. Big cities are hit particularly hard, the US military forces sent do deal with the problem are stretched thin and sustain heavy casualties.

The only survivors are the remains of the military forces with some lucky civilians, criminals who do not hesitate to kill anything that moves on sight, and outright psychopaths. In the beginning the focus is on two such groups: one is led by an officer of US Army, another one is a group of escaped convicts, and most of them were on death row. Surprisingly, the second group is more interesting, if more violent, because of backstabbing and double-crossing in it.

Conclusion: a good survival horror book. It becomes more interesting after the first half as more surviving groups appear; at this point it is really hard to put down. My only two problems with it are that I did not care about the main female character (Sunshine), and the ending was rather abrupt: I still have no clue what happened to the leader of one of the groups. Still, it is a very good effort from a new author. The book deserves 4 solid stars.