The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

The Placebo Effect

The Placebo Effect  - David Rotenberg First things first: I need to mention I received this book in Goodreads giveaways.

Decker Roberts has a dangerous gift: he can reliably tell whether a person tells the truth. Despite his attempt to keep this ability secret while still making very good amount of cold hard cash from this (tax-free I suppose), he still finds himself wanted by a lot of different groups of people including NSA - these are spooky guys is both real life and this book, high-profile lawyers, and a head of a major pharmaceutical company. Some of these guys want to use his talent for free, some of them want to complicate his life as much as possible, and some just want him dead.

Despite my 3-star rating, this is a good book. There are some problems resulting in my fairly low rating. I do not get motivation of the main villain of the book at all. Very minor SPOILER follows: you have the most useful person for your company working for you for minimum wage (!). Why on Earth do you want to fire him? Your company is not going to be broke paying one more aforementioned minimum wage, even if this person is going to be useful once in a while.

Another problem: Decker's son is a typical asshole - for the lack of better term - who considers his father to be nothing more than just a walking wallet and who think it is below his dignity to ask his father for money in person using their mutual friend for communication. I was supposed to care about him, but I really did not at all.

Lastly, it took a while for the book to get really interesting; for a thriller book it spent too much time setting up the stage and actors. Once the action finally started, it became very interesting with the scene of Decker escaping NSA being simply brilliant.

All in all, a good book with some shortcomings which prevented me from giving it higher marks.