Promise of Departure

Promise of Departure - L.W. Montgomery First things first: I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways.

I can actually give the plot summary for this book and my review in one sentence. This is [b:Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values|629|Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance An Inquiry Into Values|Robert M. Pirsig|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349023774s/629.jpg|175720], Jr. Simple as that.

A little more detailed description. A guy called Greg quits his job, leaves almost everything to his wife (with whom he is in the middle of divorce) and daughter and goes to Haiti devastated by an earthquake with his bike hoping to help local people the best way he can: by fixing their vehicles. This book is about his journey and his self-discovery.

I can understand Greg. Sometimes I feel like getting away from everything too, in this I can relate. I can also understand and support his thoughts and actions. What I do not understand is that while he is supposed to be a great motorcycle expert and quite competent when it comes to fixing bikes, he looks like a complete rookie when it comes to riding it and making mistakes not every first-time bike riders do.

Other than this minor nitpick, I like the book. Solid 3.5 stars rounded up for this being the first book of the author.