The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 11 %

When the Devil Doesn't Show

When the Devil Doesn't Show - Christine Barber First things first: I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways.

A house in Santa Fe was burned down. Inside there were two bodies of its owners tied to the chairs and unidentified badly burned body hanging from the ceiling in another room. The police investigation is hampered by the fact that one of the owners worked in Los Alamos National Laboratory. This laboratory, being number 1 (or number 2) for the US Department of Defense is as secret and closed as they come. Before Gil and Joe, the police investigators, get any facts from people working in it - including the trivial ones like the deceased man's relationship with his colleagues, more dead bodies start showing up.

The book is a good fast-paced mystery. The plot is fine and interesting, the major characters (Gil, Joe, and Lucy) are nicely written and they feel like real life people. I even like the plot twist at the end. There is a lot of information about quite a number of subjects, including Santa Fe itself, Los Alamos National Laboratory, even original Spanish settlers; the way this information is presented is interesting (I learned some new facts) and is never out of place; it is not a simple space filler.

My only problem with the book is that is has one POV which was completely unnecessary and did not add anything to the story.

All in all, a good solid 4 stars.