The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 11 %

Hollow World

Hollow World - Michael J. Sullivan Ellis Rogers has a terminal illness which will kill him in about half a year. He does not care about it as he also has a time machine in his garage. It only works if one goes to the future, but he hopes they will develop the cure in about 200 years where he intends to go. With nothing to hold him back he uses the machine, but due to an unknown problem he ends up in quite different time from what he expected.

First a word of warning: if you think this will be anything like Riyria Revelations in sci-fi settings, this book is not for you. If you want to read a very good time traveling tale which deals with a lot of topics from modern life, jump right in. The topics I mentioned vary between liberal/conservative views, homosexuality, individuality, religion - just to name a few.

I already mentioned this is not sci-fi version of Riyria Revelations, but I was not entirely truthful. I am happy to say that the unexpected plot twists typical for the fantasy series are here as well. I also found it very refreshing to read about future which is not altogether depressing; different, but not depressing. 99.9% of sci-fi books make me wonder whether there is an unannounced competition between the authors who try to outdo one another painting more and more bleak picture of what our life will be. I can really use some optimism in here.

The final result is 4 solid stars. I guess it is safe to say [a:Michael J. Sullivan|2063919|Michael J. Sullivan|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1365679488p2/2063919.jpg] the sci-fi writer delivered.