Gene

Gene

Penny Arcade Volume 2: Epic Legends Of The Magic Sword Kings

Penny Arcade Volume 2: Epic Legends Of The Magic Sword Kings - Jerry Holkins, Mike Krahulik This book is very similar to the first one, [b:Penny Arcade Volume 1: Attack of the Bacon Robots|287110|Penny Arcade Volume 1 Attack of the Bacon Robots|Jerry Holkins|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348196741s/287110.jpg|278547]. For my review all I have to do is to copy and paste my review for the first book with some minor adjustments.

First of all, a disclaimer: if you do not know that it is, this is most probably not for you. The comics deal with issues of gaming, mostly computer and console. Penny Arcade is very well known in these circles, which means that even if you have a passing interest in the subject you must have heard about them - thus the disclaimer.

The biggest problem with the comics - other than required knowledge of the subject - is that it does show its age. This book talks about games released in 2001; by the rate the gaming industry moves, it is practically the age of dinosaurs. Case in point: at one point they were not sure whether World of Warcraft will be really able to compete with existing similar games; it slaughtered them all.

I played some of the games they reference, and even in my case I do not understand quite a few of the jokes. Fortunately, they have comments for every single comic which is a required read. Unfortunately, some of the comments go along the line, "I really have no idea that this comic is about". Well, neither do I as a reader.

I also do not agree with their position on some of the issues in gaming. Still, there are some diamonds in the rough, enough of them to warrant 3-star rating.