The Dragon Never Sleeps
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

Nightfall Gardens

Nightfall Gardens - Allen Houston First things first: I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways.

Lily Blackwood is a young girl who dreams of becoming a great actress and playing on greatest Paris theater scenes. Her dreams are shattered the moment a mysterious stranger dressed in a clock with a wolf head shows up one day claiming it is time for her to take over as a protector of their family mansion and nearby dreaded Nightfall Gardens.

To make a long story short, this is the best book I won in Goodreads giveaways yet. The genre of the book can be best described as gothic novel: something very rare these days. The atmosphere created in the book is brilliant: spooky, bleak, and dreamlike. Each chapter is told from Lily's and her brother Silas' POV in turns and each chapter ends in a cliffhanger.

This is one of the books that makes its reader debate whether to continue reading long into the night, or to finally get some much-needed sleep. The only reason I had for thinking about giving this book 4-star rating was the fact that there is no any kind of resolution at the end: the last chapter ends with yet another cliffhanger followed by the dreaded (at that point) words "The End". I almost convinced myself to give 4 stars to this book just because of this, but then I recalled [b:The Fellowship of the Ring|34|The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)|J.R.R. Tolkien|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1371849682s/34.jpg|3204327] which did not have any resolution in the end and which is considered a classic book nonetheless.

5 stars is the final rating for a very good gothic tale for teens and adults alike. Now you will have to excuse me, I am off to a bookstore to buy the next book in the series.