Dracula - Bram Stoker Sparkling lovesick tormented emo type, monster killing machines type, and everything in between - this is the book which is solely responsible for most of them. It is loosely based on the character of Vlad the Impaler, who is now much better known as Dracula the Vampire.

As to the plot, it is fairly well-known: Count Dracula came to England to wreck chaos, and there is only a small group of people who can stop him, including one person whose name became synonymous with vampire-hunting thanks to countless comic books, Van Helsing.

The book is a classic horror novel which used to scare our great great grandparents. It is not as scary as it used to be at the time of its publication, but it still has some intense moments. It is often referred as a manual on vampire fighting, like using garlic, holy water, crucifixes, etc. The most recent example of a reference to this book I can recall was in Dresden Files by Jim Butcher where the main character mentioned that it is responsible for practical extermination of vampires during modern times.

I already mentioned before the huge influence the novel has on the way the vampires are represented in modern literature - and to some extent their popularity. If you like modern vampires in literature, read the book as a tribute to the father of them all; if you hate modern vampires, read the book to know about the original guy (hint: he was not very nice, and I would not call him lovesick either).

A classic which really deserves its rating: 4 very solid stars.

This review is a copy/paste of the one on Booklikes: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/748483/vampires-love-them-or-hate-them-this-is-the-book-which-made-them-popular