The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

The Black Song Inside

The Black Song Inside - Carlyle Clark First things first: I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways.

Atticus Wynn, a PI in San Diego agreed to take a case for his former girlfriend - it was an offer he could not refuse; he was basically blackmailed into this as she had some very damaging knowledge about his partner and current girlfriend Rosemary Sanchez. It took less than a day after this for the events to spin out of control: he was framed by the police - and Tijuana drug cartel is on his trail, Rosemary's brother who also happened to be the leader of a local gang badly wants to beat him up, and mysterious maniacal hitman called The Priest plays his own game with Atticus. This sounds fairly bad, but it is just the beginning of problems for Atticus and Rosemary.

I need to make a confession here: this is not the type of the book I usually read. It is also a fairly big book with more than 400 pages. I was pleasantly surprised. The first thing that struck me was the quality of writing I do not expect from the genre (mystery thriller). At any point it was really hard to put the book down; when I was in the last hundred pages or so I had to literally force myself to stop reading and get some much-needed sleep. I already mentioned the number of pages: none of them were boring; I never had any desire to skip ahead. This really shows either great self-discipline of the author, or a very good work of the editor.

In the conclusion I can recommend this book to anybody with even a passing interest in mystery thrillers despite some cliches typical for the genre.