Saga, Volume 1

Saga, Volume 1 - Fiona Staples, Brian K. Vaughan A good and brief description of this graphic novel would be Romeo and Juliette is science fiction settings. Two soldiers from opposing armies fall in love and have a child. Now they are on the run from both sides which try to kill the renegades using any means necessary. I mentioned science fiction, but it would be wrong as while one side of the conflict uses hi-tech machinery and gadgets (the one with wings), the other side uses good old magic (the one with horns). This makes the genre a mix of science fiction and fantasy.

While the main idea of the story was beaten to death and beyond since Shakespeare's time it still remains interesting with enough twists to be very gripping. The artwork is good and serves its purpose perfectly. Why the rating is just 4 stars in this case? Very simple: the novel became a victim to its own hype. With all the praise is received from people with completely different tastes in literature, I expected something mind-blowing. Instead to my disappointment I just found a good, but not great comic book.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/888786/this-story-has-been-told-countless-times-before-but-it-is-still-good