Gene

Gene

Unfettered

Unfettered - R.A. Salvatore, Lev Grossman, Tad Williams, Carrie Vaughn, Jacqueline Carey, Terry Brooks, Brandon Sanderson, Todd Lockwood, Peter Orullian, Patrick Rothfuss, David Anthony Durham, Eldon Thompson, Robert V.S. Redick, Geno Salvatore, Peter V. Brett, Blake Charlton, Mark  This is an anthology of short stories taking place in well-knows fantasy series. I will update my review as I read more stories, but for now this is only a partial one.

River of Souls. Series: Wheel of Time, Author: Brandon Sanderson. I admit this was the main attraction for me. The whole story is a big spoiler for something which is revealed in the last book of the huge series, so even the slightest hint on the plot would contain some. I will try to at least minimize them and just mention that it gives a glimpse on the answer to the question which bothered the fans of the series since book 6: what the heck was Demandred up to?

I already mentioned spoilers. The only appropriate time to read the story is after you finish the main series. It cannot even be read right before the last book. I need to mention something else: this is not a canon story. Jordan said several times that he will not write anything related to the subject it deals with. Sanderson decided the subject needs some explanation, so he wrote this part. According to late Jordan's wishes it was cut off the main books, but it made its way to the anthology. For the fans of the series who have read everything else it provides a nice if short last journey into the world build by Robert Jordan.

3.5 stars.

The Jester. Series: Riyria Revelations, Author: Michael J. Sullivan. The dynamic duo, I mean Riyria, I mean Hadrian and Royce undertook a job to recover a hidden treasure of late royal jester who also happened to be a dwarf. All they need to do is overcome lots and lots of obstacles in form of monsters and traps.

The biggest and the only weakness of the story it its length: it is way too short. We are dumped in the middle of the action right when the party is being chased by a monster. I would love for this tale to start at least from the beginning of journey. Still the dynamics between two main heroes which made the series is present as well as some humor.

3.5 stars.

Despite the average rating for the stories I reviews I will round it up just out of respect for both series: 4 stars.