The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

Dilvish, the Damned

Dilvish, the Damned - Roger Zelazny This is a collection of eleven short interconnecting stories from a great Master (with the capital M) of science fiction and fantasy written in sword and sorcery genre. The general theme is the following. A guy called Dilvish tried to interrupt a dark ritual by a white wizard gone bad who cursed the former by turning his body into a statue and sending his spirit straight to Hell - I mean the literal place.

Some time later (three hundred years) Dilvish somehow escaped with a prize of a horse right from Hell's stables. To say that he is somewhat upset with the wizard and desperately wants to meet him to discuss their differences would be quite an understatement. If my description made you think of something like this:
A Horse not from Hell
then you are way off.

I want to take a moment to discuss the horse. I am not a horse person, but I really want this one. Now only it looks cool, but it also never gets tired, can be used as a battering ram in case of an emergency, makes a great warhorse, talks, has a healthy sense of humor, and can cast some fairly advanced spells. Is it any wonder I am envious?
A Horse from Hell

As I mentioned above I consider Roger Zelazny to be one of the greatest speculative fiction writers ever to grace us with their works. This collection is not quite on the level with his best writings, but it is still worth reading provided you can find a copy of this hard-to-find book, especially if you are a fan of sword and sorcery genre. The only complaint I have is that some of fairly major events were completely skipped in between the stories. My rating is 4 solid stars.