The Dragon Never Sleeps
A Night in the Lonesome October
Gahan Wilson, James Warhola, Roger Zelazny
Progress: 28 %

Ten Lords A-Leaping: A Mystery

Ten Lords A-Leaping: A Mystery - C.C. Benison First things first: I need to mention I received this book from Goodreads giveaways.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you. Father Christmas (yes, this is his real name) has a fundraising event for his church: skydiving. This is his first time doing this, and things go wrong practically from the beginning. He had some problems with his radio as a result he did not time his landing well and now has the most common sport injury: sprained ankle. To top it off, two of the trained skydivers (called Leaping Lords) have a fight while in the air which later on became a hit on Youtube. Later on one of the fighters could not open his parachute, but was able to use a spare. Did somebody try to tamper with it?

This is only just a beginning. Father Christmas is not able to drive his car, so he and his daughter are invited to stay in the local estate Eggescombe Park owned by the unlucky Leaping Lord. It also happened that a lot of owner's relatives came to spend a weekend at the same estate. Some of them really do not like each other, while others really hate the rest of their family for different reasons. The tensions are high and atmosphere is so thick it can be cut with a knife: all the signs of the impending crime are in there.

The most obvious strength of the book is its really good reproduction of the spirit of the classic English mysteries: think [a:Agatha Christie|123715|Agatha Christie|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1321738793p2/123715.jpg] and [a:Dorothy L. Sayers|8734|Dorothy L. Sayers|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1206564934p2/8734.jpg]. The mystery is good and is not easy to solve. One thing of notice: there is a picture of a family tree in the beginning of the book; it is really necessary as the relationships between different people are very complicated and they are the root cause of the major part of tensions in the book.

I only found one weakness in the book: its first half is slow. In fact, during the first hundred or so pages it seems nothing significant happens. Later it turns out it is an important part of the story as well, but the fact is that it is slow going in the beginning - I do not mean boring.

After all is said, this is a good mystery book which kept me reading until the end. I will definitely read other books in the series.