Prince of the Blood

Prince of the Blood - Raymond E. Feist The King has no male children, so it looks like one of his twin nephews, Borric and Erland has to take the crown after his death. The twins are typical spoiled brats, so their father Prince Arutha of Krondor sends them as ambassadors to Kesh - the old and mysterious nation (think ancient China) along with James (aka Jimmy the Hand), Locklear, and some other familiar characters. The ambassadors stumble onto a conspiracy, and it is up to the wonder boys - Borric and Erland to save the day.

What do you get if you send familiar heroes into unfamiliar territory, make them completely helpless, clueless, and add two-dimensional spoiled youths as main characters? Prince of Blood, this is what. The whole book feels like somebody put a loaded gun to author's head and politely asked him to write something. I already mentioned all of the new characters being completely flat with no sign of life in them. I really hated the twins the way they were presented - and they are supposed to be good guys. The only two notable exceptions were Nakor and Ghuda (the only redeeming part of the book I could think of was their introduction), but they just do not get enough screen time to do any good.

The returning characters were not much better. Jimmie the Hand used to be one of the best characters; now he spent most of the book being unable to do anything - sounds exciting... not! One of the characters died and nobody displayed any emotions whatsoever - it seems it affected me more than anybody in the novel. I also need to mention the ending was very contrived.

This is a decent book if you are about to take a transcontinental flight and this is the only book you have; it is definitely much more interesting than a safety procedures manual, but this is the only praise I can give. This happened to be the first mediocre entry in Midkemia series, but not the last - sadly.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/759962/in-some-epics-it-is-really-hard-to-point-out-where-they-went-downhill-in-feist-s-case-it-is-easy-this-book