Gene

Gene

Spooked

Spooked - Tracy Sharp Sixteen year old Lorelei has a unique supernatural talent. She can see very dark and deep secrets people try to hide and steal them - meaning if this secret gave a person a sense of guilt, she can make it go away. Obviously there are a lot of people who would love to get their hands on Lorelei and her talent, so she has to live with her aunt in a small town to hide herself. She could not stand aside when a tragedy stroke her school - besides she and her friends became mixed up in the events even before they led to tragedy, and so she revealed herself to the forces on a hunt for the likes of her.

I bought this book by pure accident: it was my first acquaintance with Amazon 1-click buying system, so with my accidental click on Buy Now button I became a happy owner of the ebook. I decided to keep it because the blurb was interesting (by the way, it has more spoilers when I gave in the plot description above) and as a reminder to myself to be very careful with Amazon purchases.

Some time ago I wanted to take a break from epic fantasy reading and stumbled upon this book; it was short enough to suite my purposes. I cannot say I was blown away by it, but it was a very solid read anyway. The horror part was done very nicely with some genuine spooky moments. The romance while being present at no time became annoying or took up a major part of the plot. The length of the book was just perfect and I am actually impressed with the way all the plot-lines were wrapped up in the end: I was sure there would be a cliffhanger leading to a sequel, but this is a standalone (another big plus in my book).

I do have some minor problems. I really did not like some of the things at the end and there were some places in the last 20 pages or so where the logic went out of the window, but these are not enough to keep me from giving this book 4 solid stars.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/845179/i-did-not-expect-this-book-to-be-any-good