The Dragon Never Sleeps
The Locked-room Mysteries
Otto Penzler
Progress: 23 %

Lazarus, Vol. 1

Lazarus, Vol. 1 - Greg Rucka, Michael Lark The Montagues and the Capulets are two rival families, but a boy from one family and a girl from the other one falls in love with each other... Sorry, wrong story. In the future the world is controlled by wealthiest families (no, I am not talking about our present: it is easy to become confused here), there are no countries, or governments; every family takes care of its serfs. Every family is protested by a created (artificially created, not old-fashioned way) so-called Lazarus who is practically indestructible, Highlander-type from the movie with the same name.

Forever is the Carlyle family’s Lazarus with Carlyle being a very powerful family. As usual some of the more ambitious members of the family want more power and they use any means to get it. Forever is sent to negotiate a peace with another family: the Morrays. She happens to know their Lazarus and she used to be friendly with him. Unfortunately the ambitious members of the family I mentioned above has other plans, quite different from that of the family's Godfather, I mean head of the family.

The beginning of the story is interesting enough, but the biggest problem is its length: at around 100 pages there is just enough time to show the main players and some minimal character development. Still the artwork is good, and so it setup. 4 stars is the final rating for an interesting albeit short beginning of the story.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/876488/fast-and-easy-read