Gene

Gene

Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me

Fatale, Vol. 1: Death Chases Me - Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips Nicolas Lash attends his godfather's funeral where he meets a mysterious woman (it is a noir novel, there has got to be one). He also finds himself an executor of his godfather's estate, so he gets to look at the papers left. Among papers he finds a manuscript of an unpublished novel - the late Hank was a famous writer. At exactly this moment a squad of goons shows up trying to kill Nicolas with some serious firepower; fortunately the woman from the funeral also makes a visit and saves Nicolas in the nick of time.

The attack leaves poor guy crippled with the manuscript being the only trophy for his troubles. He starts reading it while recovering just to kill time and hoping there might be some answers for the attack.

We now go back in time to fifties following the story. It starts as a typical noir tale with all the attributes: corrupted cops, mafia, a damsel in distress, and journalists trying to get the truth for their newspaper - until Chtulhu-like monsters and cultists join the fun which makes the novel is a mix of noir and horror.

The only serious problem I had while reading is that some of the people's faces looked kind of the same - not by design - which sometimes made it difficult to figure out whose POV the tale switched to.

There was no doubt in my mind that this is a decent novel, but I hesitated whether it is bad enough for 3 stars, or good enough for 4 - until I realized I was reading it very late at night and the idea of going to bed simply had not crossed my mind; 4 stars it is.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/883396/a-love-child-of-raymond-chandler-and-h-p-lovecraft