Gene

Gene

V for Vendetta

V for Vendetta - David Lloyd, Alan Moore The plot of the graphic novel is well-known, so I do not think I will go into many details. Basically after a nuclear war Britain survived, but now has a pseudo-fascist government - with concentration camps and such. There were a series of experiments on human prisoners in one of the camps with one prisoner surviving and acquiring super-human abilities (as well as some touch of madness). The guy escaped and is now planning his revenge on the people who were in charge in the camp as well as the whole government system which made it possible for such camps to exist.

I am about to say something which might get me banned from all social websites with book discussions. Here it goes: the movie was better. The novel feels like anarchist propaganda with some pictures and disjoint plot-lines thrown in. The movie had a good plot with side plots going nowhere removed and the main characters being more interesting (Evey in the novel feels like an empty shell, no so in the movie).

I already mentioned some parts of the plot being nothing but filler. Let me not get started on anarchy itself: there was never a single point in history where anarchy was beneficial to humankind. In fact, from the humanity experience it was not much better that fascism for which is was a proposed cure in the novel. The latter does not even make a good case for anarchy.

There were several really outstanding moments which saved this comic from receiving otherwise well-justified 2 star rating; I count 3 of them out of the top of my head. I was warned by my friends about this novel (hi, Wendell!); I deserved to be bored while reading it for not listening to them.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/893284/fairly-boring-anarchist-propaganda