Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice

Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice - Rob Guillory, John Layman Tony Chu has a very special ability: when he eats something he understands the complete history of whatever he just ate: for example in case of an apple it is which fertilizer was used on the tree, the condition under which it was picked up, etc. Understandably it becomes much more macabre in case of meat.

In the near future where Tony lives the chicken meat is banned due to bird flu scare. FDA (Food and Drug Administration for non-Americans) is the most powerful agency - just like FBI during the Prohibition. Tony is recruited into FDA for his special abilities where he investigates several cases in the book.

I am sorry, but the jokes in the books are not my type. I can understand that some people find the idea of Tony eating a half-decomposed body of a dog hilarious, but this is not my cap of tea. How is about biting a nose off a serial killer Tony just killed in attempt to learn about his victims - this is pure comedy.

Even with just this problem I would give the book 3 stars, but there are more. I really did not care about any of the characters at all; none of them stood up above being 2-dimensional cartoons with exactly zero development.

Another nitpick: during one of the investigations Tony has to talk to some Russians. Not only these authentic Russians use grammar which would make any 4-year-old native speaker blush, their dialogs are written in Latin! A little newsflash people: those crazy Russians use Cyrillic for crying out loud.

I can still appreciate that the graphic novel has a certain appeal to other people, but sadly I am not one of them.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/882694/cannibalism-for-a-good-cause-