Gene

Gene

The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad

The Manhattan Projects, Vol. 1: Science, Bad - Jonathan Hickman, Nick Pitarra The Manhattan Project is just a cover-up for much more bizarre research, thus the plural form (I am talking about alternate history here, I think). Add to this attack by a giant robot squad sent from Japan by Buddhist monks using the power of their meditation to open an portal straight into the laboratory and an encounter with aliens who just wiped out several other races and you will begin to get an initial idea about the weirdness of this. The familiar faces are here: Richard P. Feynman, Albert Einstein, Robert Oppenheimer, even Harry S. Truman, but they are not what you would expect. Rather, their evil twins (in most cases) show up.

Despite the positive reviews the comic did not work for me. I cannot even say why: it was weird, but I do like it when it serves some purpose. In this case it was either too weird, or not weird enough: I cannot say. Sufficient to say I did not care about any of the characters, I did not care about what they did or why they did it - there was no explanation about the "why" part by the way: just strange people doing strange stuff.

I also need to mention that the artwork is outright creepy; looks like it is unintentional.

To all the people who rated this 4 stars and higher: I am sorry I really cannot give it more than 2.5 which is my final rating.

This review is a copy/paste of my BookLikes one: http://gene.booklikes.com/post/887373/do-you-think-you-know-from-history-books-what-the-manhattan-project-was-about-think-again